A key takeaway I took from the chapter is that all three learning theories are on a continuum (Ertner & Newby, 2013). At the start of the continuum sits behaviorism. Behaviourism is often used when learners are encountering information for the first time. Instructors give stimuli, and reinforcements and then learners respond to these stimuli. With behaviorism, practices applied one may have information transferred to memory. Whether one can then transform and apply this information elsewhere is not guaranteed. The cognitive approach, further down the continuum, teaches learners how to apply information. And so in different contexts. At the end of the continuum is the constructivist theory. This theory sets the aim to embed knowledge while the learner is in the appropriate context. This allows the learner to practice the knowledge. In this way, the learner may get ‘advanced knowledge’ (Ertner & Newby, 2013).

Looking at these definitions I can recall teaching using each of the three methods. All together, helping me to advance my knowledge. During semesters, completing readings and attending lectures was a practice of knowledge transfer. After which tests determine if I, as a learner, can recall the correct responses to stimuli. The class, reinforced by the goal to learn and get a good grade studies. The cognitive approach was also used during classes. There were a variety of assignments that asked students to transform knowledge. For example, the student may develop a paper, a diagram, or a product. While developing an assignment, I am made to dissect the information I have and transform it. In doing so I am transferring the information into something I have learned. The constructivist method was in play during my co-op terms. During this time I needed to bring and practice the information acquired in school and apply it.

Experiences in the field give learners a greater understanding, as knowledge gets used. But, I do feel there is a difficulty with getting a full spectrum of knowledge. In the workplace, questions may not arise about how much one knows. Rather, a completed task equals a success, independent of the thought behind it. This highlights one reason the classroom (the other two learning theories) adds value. In the classroom instructors often teach a wide range of information. The learners will gain background knowledge and theory. One may then apply unique insights and back their decisions in the workplace.

Reference

Ertmer, P. A., & Newby, T. (2017). Behaviorism, Cognitivism, Constructivism Comparing Critical Features From an Instructional Design Perspective. In edtechbooks. Retrieved from https://edtechbooks.org/lidtfoundations/behaviorism_cognitivism_constructivism